As the world community continues to ignore the Saudi aggression on Yemen, an immediate crisis resulting from this war is the spread of serious diseases. A cholera outbreak has rapidly spread in Yemen, killing 115 people in two weeks in the impoverished country where hospitals badly damaged by more than two years of war can barely cope. Patients with cholera symptoms have flooded the run-down medical facilities, as international relief agencies warned of a catastrophic humanitarian situation and urged citizens to exercise hygiene precautions. “We now are facing a serious outbreak of cholera,” said Dominik Stillhart, the director of operations at the International Committee of the Red Cross on 14th May. Citing figures compiled by the Yemeni health ministry, Stillhart said 115 people had died of cholera between April 27 and 14th May. More than 8,500 suspected cases of the waterborne disease were reported in the same period in 14 governorates across Yemen, Stillhart said. Doctors Without Borders (MSF) expressed fears that health authorities alone will not be able to deal with the outbreak. “MSF calls on international organisations to scale up their assistance urgently to limit the spread of the outbreak,” it said in a statement.
Over the past week, the Saudi regime has sent its tanks and armoured vehicles to the Eastern Province town of Awwamiyah, killing people and destroying property. It is unprovoked aggression that has claimed at least five people. The district of AlMusawwara bore the brunt of the attack with serious damage to buildings and people. The town is now completely encircled and fears are growing of a final push to obliterate it and force its inhabitants to flee. This is part of the demographic engineering being carried out by the Saudi ruling family in its attempt to change the human and cultural history of that region which sets on large oil reserves. Among the victims are: Ali Abdul Aziz Abu Abdullah, Ali Aqaqa and Jawad AlDagher.
Under the heading: “Britain’s cash and Bahrain’s firing squads; 5 things we have learned”, Reprieve, the UK-based organisation that opposes death penalty and torture, issued a statement highlighting the UK-Bahrain relations. The article outlined several criminal abuses carried out by the Alkhalifa dictatorship. It said: Amid these abuses, there are worrying signs that Britain is helping to prop up Bahrain’s death penalty system. Here are five things we know so far. 1: Britain has spent £5 million assisting the system that made these executions possible. 2: The three men executed were categorically failed by UK-trained institutions. 3: Britain can no longer claim to be promoting human rights in Bahrain. 4: The British government has repeatedly glossed over evidence of human rights abuses linked to the bodies it is training. 5: More executions are imminent and the British government is yet to act
On 12th May Amnesty International issued an Urgent Action titled: “Forcibly disappeared Bahraini faces military trial”. It said: Fadhel Sayed Abbas Hasan Radhi’s case has been transferred to a military court. Neither his family nor lawyer has been informed of the charges. Fadhel Sayed has been subjected to enforced disappearance since September 2016, and since then remains at risk of torture and other ill treatment. AI urged people to write to Alkhalifa regime; Urging the Bahraini authorities to immediately disclose the fate and whereabouts of Fadhel Sayed Abbas Hasan Radhi as well as the legal basis for his detention and provide him with prompt and regular access to his family, lawyer and any medical attention and ensure that he is protected from torture; Urging the Bahraini authorities to charge Fadhel Sayed Abbas Hasan Radhi with a recognizable criminal offense, or release him; If he is charged with a recognizable criminal offense, urging them to transfer his case to a civilian court that complies with international fair trial standards, excluding evidence obtained under torture and not resorting to the death penalty.
Alkhalifa tribal regime has rounded up scores of family members related to Bahraini activists abroad following their protests against dictator, Hamad bin Isa Alkhalifa. They were arrested, intimidated and threatened with severe reprisals if their relatives continued their peaceful protests against the Alkhalifa dictatorship. On 14th May several Bahraini exiles staged a protest at Windsor Horse Show calling on UK government to stop supporting him. Some activists managed to raise a banner with that slogan inside the race course, facing the Queen and her Alkhalifa guest. Bahrain’s dictator attended the event on 14th May and was granted a seat next to Her Majesty. On 12th May Index on Censorship had issued a statement titled: “The Royal Windsor Horse Show should sever ties with the Kingdom of Bahrain”. It said that five rights groups had sent letters to Buckingham Palace, event organisers HPower Group and principal partner Land Rover. The human rights groups stated: “The Royal Windsor Horse Show and the monarchy risk reputational damage by maintaining close relations with the Kingdom of Bahrain and its head of state, and the continued association only serves to undermine the work of human rights organisations such as ours who are seeking a peaceful and reformative cessation of human rights abuses in Bahrain.”
Bahrain Freedom Movement
17th May 2017 (email@example.com, www.vob.org)