Saudi war crimes mount, Alkhalifa wage all-out war on Bahrainis
As the pressure mounts on both Washington and London to stop supplying arms to Saudi Arabia, Human Rights Watch has renewed its call for a freeze on these arms. On Sunday 12th March Ahmed Benchemsi, communications and advocacy director at Human Rights Watch’s Middle East & North Africa, told Russia Today (RT): “The country (Yemen) has plunged into a deep humanitarian catastrophe” and called on the US, UK and France to stop selling weapons to Riyadh. The humanitarian situation in Yemen is “increasingly unsustainable” and urgent action must be taken by both sides in the conflict, he said, adding that the situation is turning into a “deep humanitarian catastrophe,” He added: “We ourselves, at Human Rights Watch, were able to document 61 apparent unlawful airstrikes, all conducted by the coalition, some of which may amount indeed to war crimes and that have killed nearly 900 civilians and have hit civilian areas, including markets, schools, hospitals and private homes,”. On 11th March an airstrike by Saudi forces on an open market in western Yemen killed at least 16 people, United Nations and local officials said. The attack late Friday hit a market setting off a fire and leaving the dead and wounded scattered in the wreckage. The strike came as aid organizations are struggling to draw attention to the plight of Yemen, where years of war have created the “largest humanitarian crisis in the world,” according to Stephen O’Brien, the UN undersecretary general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief coordinator.
Also, Amnesty International has urged the British people to petition their lawmakers to pressure the government to immediately halt arms transfers to Saudi Arabia. The rights group says Riyadh is launching indiscriminate attacks on Yemen and the UK may be complicit in those acts amounting to war crimes. Amnesty added that UK-made weapons were among those killing Yemenis and Saudi bombing of schools, hospitals and funeral halls had been well documented. The prominent rights organization says the UK is still licensing arms worth billions of pounds to Riyadh despite damning evidence of atrocities being committed. Since Saudi Arabia started the war on its neighbor almost two years ago, over 12-thousand people have been killed, many of them women and children.
Foreign Policy has published an article titled: “Saudi Arabia’s failed oil war: Why its days of market dominance are over” written by Nicholas Borroz and Brendan Meighan. This situation, the authors argue is “a result of failed policies from 2014 to 2016 that forced Riyadh to accept the fact that its days of dominating oil markets are over.” They argued that “Saudi overproduction might have been worth it if it had knocked out Iran or the United States, but instead, Saudi Arabia was the main victim.” In another criminal attack on the people of the Eastern Province the Saudi forces killed under-aged Walid AlUrayyedh. The town of Awwamiya was attacked on 13th March for no obvious reason. The heavily-armed forces fired on civilians and hit the boy in his head. He was martyred on the spot.
In Bahrain the dictator has refrained from issuing his decision on the fate of the highest religious and political authority in the country, Sheikh Isa Qasim. He was supposed to announce his decision yesterday through one of his courts. But the popular mobilisation by the people inside the country and the outcry by the religious scholars in Najaf and Qom, forced Alkhalifa backers to stop the dictator from announcing his decision. He deferred it until 8th May.
In the week 6-12th March the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights documented at least 32 arrests including 5 children. There were 69 protests in 28 towns and villages, nine of which were attacked by regime’s mercenary forces. Four brothers of Martyr Ali AlMo’min were detained in the early hours of Monday 13th March from their home in Sitra. Ammar, Hussain, Abdulla and Yasser. Other arrests include Sayed Hassan Sayed Hashim, Ali Ahmed Ebrahim, Ali Jaffar AlMo’min, Sadiq Jafar Salil and Abbas Ali Salil. From Ma’amir town arrests included: Abdul Aleem Haram, Mohammad Makki Miqdad, Qassim Ahmed AlMaliki, Ahmed Abdulla Aljadid, Ali Abdulrasool, Sayed Ali Mohammed Majed. From Jabalat Habshi town Orator Ali Jffar Radhi was arrested in a dawn raid on his home. Hassan Ali Abdul Jabbar was detained from Maqsha Town. From Sanabis several people were detained in home raids in the early hours of Monday 13th March: under-aged Mahmood Sabt, Nader Shakir Al Sajjad, Hussain Talib Al Sheikh, 17, Ahmad AlQallaf and Sayed Radhi AlSharakhat. From Kawara Town, Hassan AlUraibi and Sadiq AlShawfa were arrested from their homes. Arrests include Mohammad Fayez from Duraz, Sadiq Makki from Bani Jamra, Jassim Makki AlSumoom from Tashan. From Iskan Aali; Hussain Ali was arrested at a check point and taken to torture dungeons. From Bilad Al Qadeen Hussain Abbas Habib was detained and transferred to notorious Jaw prison. From Maqsha town; Hassan Ali Abdul Jabbar, from Kawara Sadiq Al Shawfa. On 9th March young native Hassan Mansoor AlNasser was snatched from his home at Barbar Town by masked members of Alkahlifa Death Squads.
Bahrain Freedom Movement