Saudi’s cunning approach to Trump, Alkhalifa to kill more Bahrainis
An air of scepticism dominated the media and politics worlds when the Saudis announced that they had “killed” two would-be suicide bombers in Jeddah on 21st January. Sabq, a news website affiliated with the kingdom’s interior ministry, reported on Saturday that security officers surrounded a house in Jeddah and exchanged fire with two men, who then detonated explosives that destroyed the home. The news confirmed the suspicion that the kingdom is infested with terrorist groups and sleeping cells that are under the control of Saudi intelligence bodies. Riyadh still grooms fanatical and extremist ideologies in its religious schools that has provided the ideological indoctrination of modern day terrorists. Sceptics also raised doubts on the motives of a Saudi businessman who recently published a full page advert in a local newspaper to congratulate US President Donald Trump on his inauguration. Businessman Muslat Abu Theneen Al-Sobaie took out the advertisement on the last page of Al-Jazira, a local Saudi newspapers. It said “I congratulate Your Excellency on the occasion of assuming the leadership of the US and wish you and the friendly American people every success and prosperity during your term.” It is widely believed the move was intended to soften the new president’s approach to the kingdom of fear and terror.
Meanwhile collective repression has engulfed Bahrain following the brutal execution of three native Bahrainis on 15th January. In the week 16th-22nd January the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights documented at least 41 arbitrary arrests including eight children and one woman. There were 200 marches in 41 towns and villages. At least 57 of them were attacked by regime’s mercenary forces. Regime’s courts tried 57 native Bahrainis in 16 politically-motivated cases through both primary and appeal courts. They were given prison sentences totalling 510 years and ordered to pay almost 300,000 Bahraini Dinars (about $800,000 dollars). Eleven were given life sentences. Yesterday regime’s masked members of Death Squads raided several houses in Markoban Sitra and snatched three young people: Mustafa Muhammad AlAttar, 16, Hussain Ahmad AlJordabi, 16 and Alaa Talib Al Unsura, 17. From Bani Jamra town Sayed Ali Sayed Jaffar was detained in a hours raid. Two brothers from Karrana Town were also seized: Hussain Ulayyan and his brother, Ahmad. On 22nd January Alkhalifa court ordered the administrative detention of one young man and two minors for two weeks for taking part in anti-regime protests: Muhammad Abdul Ghani AlKufi, 14, Ali Abdul Hamid Ali, 16 and Mirza Abd Ali AlShughul, 18 were ill-treated after their arrest. On 19th January, Mohammad Abdulla AlSaeed, 23, Mohammed Isa AlMuhandes, 17, and Isa Adel Aoun, 17 were arrested when masked members of regime’s Death Squads raided their houses at Al-Dair Town. Abbas Aabdulnabi Marhoon was given 15 days detention pending investigation. Ali Abdul Jalil, a university student from Jordab Town, was arrested on 19th January. Last week Ali Jaffar Al Mutaghawwi was snatched by regime’s forces. Ahmad Taqi Al Halwachi, from Manama was detained and taken to unknown location. Six citizens from Karzakkan were arbitrarily arrested including a special needs kid.
On 18th January Amnesty International issued a statement urging Bahrain’s authorities to immediately commute the death sentences of Mohamad Ramadhan and Husain Ali’ Moosa, who had been sentenced to death in December 2014. Neither of the men had access to a lawyer during their interrogations. Mohammad Ramadhan said he had been detained incommunicado, beaten and given electric shocks by interrogators at the Criminal Investigations Directorate (CID) in a failed attempt to force a confession from him. Hussain ‘Ali Moosa said his “confession” implicating Mohamed Ramadhan was extracted after he was suspended by his limbs from the ceiling and beaten repeatedly for several days. The Bahraini Public Prosecutor dismissed the torture allegations without ordering an investigation and Hussain Ali Moosa’s “confession” was used to convict the two men. Amnesty added: “Bahrain is at boiling point. The hundreds of Bahrainis who have taken to the streets to protest against these shocking executions, which were carried out amid allegations of torture and after unfair trials, have been met with excessive use of force by security forces, as well as an escalation in the ongoing crackdown on freedom of expression,” said Lynn Maalouf.
Activists have called on Britain to suspend its support for the Bahraini criminal justice system to avoid UK complicity in further human rights violations in Bahrain. British foreign secretary Boris Johnson said in response to the executions that the UK is “firmly opposed to the death penalty”, and that he has “raised the issue with the Bahraini government”. But anti-death penalty campaign group Reprieve described Johnson’s response as “woefully inadequate”. The charity has sent a letter to UK Prime Minster Theresa May calling for the government to “immediately suspend its involvement with all actors within the Bahraini criminal justice system and Ministry of Interior”. Reprieve and other organisations have repeatedly called attention to the link between human rights abuses and the multiple UK-trained institutions in Bahrain.
Bahrain Freedom Movement
25th January 2017 (firstname.lastname@example.org, www.vob.org)