Outrage at execution of 3 Bahrainis, Saudis killed over 10,000 Yemenis

Outrage at execution of 3 Bahrainis, Saudis killed over 10,000 Yemenis
Worldwide condemnation is being directed to Bahrain’s dictator after executing three native Bahrainis on Sunday 15th January. It was one of the bleakest days in the recent history of the country. The three; Sami Mushaima, Abbas Al Samee and Ali Al Singace were murdered in cold blood by the Alkhalifa tribal regime despite pleas from many corners of the world to spare their lives. Human rights bodies, including Reprieve, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch had described the show trial as “unfair” and did not meet the minimum of the international standards of a fair trial. “We are appalled at the execution by firing squad of three men in Bahrain on Sunday,’’ UN human rights commissioner spokesperson, Rupert Colville, said in a statement. In response to the executions Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for Campaigns in Beirut, Samah Hadid said: “This is a dark day for human rights in Bahrain. These executions – the first to be carried out since 2010 – are a deeply regressive step for a country whose authorities’ have repeatedly trumpeted their commitment to human rights. The European Union, US and UK expressed concerns about the executions.
The killing led to flare up of widespread protests in the country and elsewhere. Thousands of Bahraini natives poured onto the streets in the past few days to condemn Alkhalifa heinous crimes and call for the end of their black era. In the week 9-15th January the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights documented at least 46 arbitrary arrests including 44 under-aged children. The regime’s courts issued prison sentences on 20 native Bahrainis of a total of 236 years for protesting against Alkhalifa dictatorship. There were at least 137 protests in 40 towns and villages. At least 31 of them were attacked by regime’s mercenary forces.
The family of a young citizen, Fadel Abbas has pleaded for the safety of their son who had been snatched by masked members of the Death Squads on 9th September last year. Nothing has been heard of him since. The other disappeared native Bahraini is Sayed Alawi Sayed Hussain Al Durazi whose whereabouts are not known since his abduction five months ago. A young Bahraini youth is clinging to life after he had been pursued by the regime’s mercenaries and hit with their car. Abbas Abdul Nabi Marhoon, from Karzakkan, was seriously injured. Eyewitnesses reported that he was in severe pain following the attack which caused him serious injuries. Many Bahrainis were injured in the recent protests; a young boy losing one eye, others had their bodies sprayed with shotgun pellets.
There are serious concerns at the continuing British support of the regime. On Saturday 14th January The Guardian published an article about the extraordinary British security support to the Alkhalifa killers. It said: “Officials from Bahrain’s prison torture inspection panel were allowed secretly to visit Yarl’s Wood, Britain’s most controversial immigration detention centre for women, raising fresh questions over the nature of the relationship between the UK and the Gulf state. In June 2013, delegates from Bahrain, where allegations of torture in police custody and in prisons are widespread, were given permission to access the centre in Bedfordshire accompanied by members of the UK prison watchdog. And it follows repeated claims of ill treatment at Yarl’s Wood. It also came shortly before an official UN inspector investigating state-run detention centres for women was banned by the Home Office from entering Yarl’s Wood, which houses about 400 women. On Friday, it emerged that a controversial multimillion-pound programme of support for Bahrain’s security and justice system was being bolstered by a further £2m of British funding, despite the Gulf state reversing reforms to an intelligence agency accused of torture.”
The Saudis have committed another crime; murdering an inmate at a prison in Qatif. Martyr Jaber Habib Al Ali was killed last week. He had been detained on 6th January under the pretext of “entering a forbidden area” in the sea. The regime wanted his family to accept that he had died of natural causes in return for allowing them to see him at the morgue. The family flatly refused to accept the regime’s version. Other citizens killed in this manner include Makki Al Urayyed (March 2016), Nazar Al Muhsin (November 2016) and Majed Baramda (March 2016). The first two were killed under torture inside prison. The third was attacked with electric batons and rifles in one of the streets of Mecca.
On 15th January The UN’s humanitarian affairs office at least 10,000 people have been killed in the war in Yemen which is a low estimate. The figure was reached using data from health facilities that have kept track of the victims of the war, which has largely been ignored by the international community. The figure does not include those recorded by hospitals and health centres as having died, which is likely to be most of the combatants on both sides of the conflict. “This once more underscores the need to resolve the situation in Yemen without any further delay,” Farhan Haq, deputy spokesman for the UN general secretary, said in New York. “There’s been a huge humanitarian cost.”
Bahrain Freedom Movement
18 January 2017 (info@vob.org, www.vob.org)

Related Posts